From the East (e.g. M6 Junction 40 (Penrith), Keswick):
- Take the A66 west (A66W).
- After Keswick, pass the length of Bassenthwaite Lake on your right.
- At the first turning after a winding dual carriageway through woodland (just after the end of the 50mph speed limit) take the B5291 turning for ‘Dubwath’ and ‘Castle Inn’, follow from [#]
From the West (e.g. Cockermouth, Workington):
- Take the A66 east out of Cockermouth.
- B5291 turning for ‘Dubwath’ and ‘Castle Inn’
- [#]Just off the A66 you should see a brown ‘Higham Hall’ sign on the left)
- After 100m follow the road left for ‘Higham Hall’.
- After 500m at the ‘Give Way’ junction, turn right.
- After 500m, as the road bends, turn left for ‘Higham Hall’ which is 500m up the hill.
From the North/ North East (e.g. Carlisle, A69) if not using the M6 from Penrith:
- Take the A595 through Bothel.
- Turn left at A591.
- After 8km turn right at the Castle Inn onto B5291
- After 1km bear sharp right after Ouse Bridge.
- After 350m (passing the new Lakes Distillery on the right) take the second turning on the right (as the road bends to the left) for ‘Higham Hall’, which is 500m up the hill.
West Coast Main Line rail: Penrith (25 miles)
First Northwestern Local rail: Workington (10 miles)
From outside stations catch bus Trans-Cumbrian X4 or X5
X4 or X5 bus between Penrith & Workington. (hourly Mon to Sat, bi-hourly Sun). We can meet you at ‘Lakes Distillery’ before 5pm*
554 bus between Carlisle & Keswick. We can meet you at ‘Castle Inn Hotel’ before 5pm*
555 bus between Lancaster & Keswick then X4/X5 or 554
Physically adventurous? Alight at ‘Lakes Distillery’, walk along the road with the gateway to “The Ruddings” on your left hand side, walk about 100m and turn right at the junction on the bend, following the road sign, and walk up the hill for about 500m. Higham will be on your left after a nice, healthy climb up this winding, wooded road.
Special (very, very good) arrangement with Brian, local private Taxi.
t: 01768 776083
You can arrange with Brian for a Personal Pickup from:
Penrith or Carlisle Station: £30
Keswick or Cockermouth £10
Some people also use Brian for their entire journey from home –
Other Taxi services (we have no current special arrangement with these):
- Ken Routledge Travel 01900 822 795
- Davies Taxis (Keswick) 017687 72676
- Suziz Taxis (Keswick) 017687 36007 m:07961 589 003
- Cockermouth Taxi Co 01900 826649
- Michaels Taxis 01900 821441
- G & J Taxis 01900 826307
- T Cabs 01900 821489
The following may be useful:
www.traveline.info 0871 200 2233 – General Travel Planner
http://cumbria.gov.uk/buses – Local Buses info, links to timetables
www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk 0844 846 2444
For alternative places to stay see our General Information page.